- Overbrook is in West Philly (I know - who goes there?)
- Overbrook is separated into Overbrook Farms, Overbrook and Overbrook Park.
- Overbrook Farms was originally developed in the early 1900s as an exclusive community for middle-management families and was the first planned community on the exclusive Main Line railroad.
- From the early 1900s to the 1960s most families in Overbrook were of Italian or Irish descent.
- Today Overbrook is mostly African American.
- Crime rates are lower in Overbrook than other sections of West Philly ( I still have no plans to hang out in West Philly).
- The Overbrook R5 station was shown in the TV series Cold Case. It was not, however, the actual train station. I guess even film crews have no desire to go to West Philly.
I went to a birthday party in Overbrook Farms.
Method of Travel:
From Market East take the R5 to the Overbrook station
Cost of Round Trip Ticket:
Off peak - $7.00
- Take the train from Market East if you have a choice.
- Crossing Market street means you run the gamut of seedy dudes hanging out.
- The station itself connects to the Gallery (need I say more?). http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local-beat/Huge-City-Hall-Snowball-Fight-Lands-Teens-in-Jail-84517507.html
- The number of mentally ill is astronomical and for some reason I'm a magnet for the disturbed.
- Take hand sanitizer.
- Be sure to check out the amazing homes in Overbrook Farms.